The head of the rescue mission engaged in evacuating 13 trapped footballers in Chiang Rai’s Tham Luang cave on Saturday ruled out as “impossible” the option of waiting for the cave to dry.
Speaking at a press conference, Phayao Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said “this option is impossible” because that would mean having to wait until December or January.
He said it was definitely the safest option but not feasible in this case.
He said the mission was still battling the influx of water. So far they had been successful in at least making it possible for rescuers to walk to Chamber 3 inside the cave but the fight against water was not over yet.
He revealed that officials twice had to flee a rapid influx water that “came like a tsunami or a run-off”.
Narongsak, who has been transferred from Chiang Rai to Phayao, said every measure was always discussed thoroughly by the committee and the committee held a meeting for over three hours every day.
The mission head added that currently the safety of the trapped footballers was regarded as acceptable but once the authorities see any danger to their lives they would have to make the decision to evacuate them even though such a move might not be 100 per cent safe. – The Nation