Australian teacher, 37, suffers 80 per cent burns after a horror cooking accident saw a pot of oil explode in her face at her home in Thailand.
An Australian teacher has suffered third degree burns to 80 per cent of her body after a pot of oil exploded in her face.
Victoria Nikoloudis was cooking at her home in Thailand went the oil caught fire, leaving the orphanage worker with two and third degree burns to most of her body last week.
The 37-year-old, who works for a not-for-profit organisation in Chiang Mai, in the far north of Thailand, is undergoing daily surgery while her family are desperately trying to raise money to bring Ms Nikoloudis home.
‘Victoria found her purpose in Thailand helping the less fortunate from people in remote villages to orphans who require daily necessities and medical attention with no financial support,’ a GoFundMe page read.
‘She has worked tirelessly and endlessly raising funds for numerous orphanages to purchase food, clothing and other necessities required for everyday living and survival.
‘This has made a huge impact to the orphans in building their self esteem, confidence and motivation as well as bringing them joy, happiness and love.’
The 37-year-old, who has been teaching English north of Chiang Mai, is described as having a ‘heart of gold’ and a ‘passion for life’ who loves ‘seeing people happy’.
Ms Nikoloudis’ parents and one of her three sisters have flown to the Asian country to be by her bedside as they hope to raise $80,000 to bring her home to Adelaide, South Australia.
‘Her family have been advised that the hospital bill will exceed $100,000 and this doesn’t include getting Victoria back on the long journey home, where she will be transported via ambulance to the RAH (Royal Adelaide Hospital) Burns Unit in Adelaide,’ the page read.
The teacher’s twin sister, Nicole Taverna, told 9News the situation was a ‘nightmare’ but it ‘could have been a lot worse’.
‘The nurses held the phone to her so I could speak to her, the screams of her in pain and her telling me she was burning really bad,’ Ms Taverna said.
‘It can go from bad to worse quite quickly so our main objective is getting her home and getting the care and treatment she needs to keep her alive.’
The family is desperately hoping the 37-year-old will be back in Adelaide to be treated by the end of the month.
Feel free to comment on story below