Two fishermen die after eating puffer fish eggs

A single puffer fish contains enough toxin to kill 30 adult humans, and there is no known antidote. (Public Health Ministry photo)

Two seamen from Myanmar have died and another is in hospital after eating fried puffer fish eggs.

The two men, identified only as Shwe and Tal, consumed the eggs of the freshly caught fish on board the trawler Kra Saesin 31, skipper Wirat Sriwirat trawler told Si Chon police chief Pol Col Chokdee Rakwattnapong on Friday.

Another Myanmar national, identified as Suu Kyi, was seriously ill although he ate very little, Mr Wirat added.

The skipper said he had warned his crew members to avoid eating the highly poisonous fish and its eggs but the three turned a deaf ear.

About 30 minutes after they ate, Tal started vomiting, went into shock and died, while Shwe died three hours later, he said.

Mr Wirat radioed the Si Chon police station and marine police accompanied the trawler to shore before all were taken to Si Chon Hospital.

The trawler Kra Saesin 31, where the fatal meal was consumed, is moored at a pier in Si Chon district of Nakhon Si Thammarat. (Photo by Nujaree Raekrun)

 



You can follow BangkokJack on Facebook & Twitter. Or join the free mailing list (top right)

Feel free to comment on story below

Generated image