Sleeping Aussie stabbed in ‘Islamic State-inspired attack’

A 56-year-old man was stabbed in the neck at a Mill Park home. (Twitter / @DougalBeatty)
Generated image

Bangladeshi woman Momena Shoma has been charged after an alleged “Islamic State-inspired” stabbing in Melbourne.

A 56-year-old man was stabbed in the neck while sleeping at his home in Mill Park, north-east of Melbourne’s CBD, about 4.25pm yesterday, police said.

He was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital and will undergo surgery today for non-life-threatening injuries.

Generated image

The 24-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and taken to hospital.

Ms Shoma did not apply for bail when she faced Melbourne Magistrates Court for a brief hearing today.

Shoma, who faced court in a blue jumper with her black hair tied back, suffered an injury to her left hand and will see a nurse in custody, the magistrate heard.

It’s alleged Shoma travelled to Melbourne on a student visa on February 1 and was renting a room at the victim’s Callistemon Rise home while studying.

The state’s Joint Counter Terrorism Team has charged her with engaging in a terrorist act, under the Commonwealth Crimes Act Section 101.1.

Investigators will search the Mill Park home and another property in Bundoora, where she had previously stayed.

Police were not looking for anyone else, Acting Deputy Commissioner Ross Guenther said.

“This is an isolated incident and the community can be assured that Victoria Police is doing everything we can to keep the community safe,” he said.

Police have charged a woman with engaging in a terrorist act. (Twitter / @DougalBeatty)

.
“The community can expect to see an increased police presence at a number of events today and at major events in the coming weeks.

There were no subsequent threats to the community, AFP acting Deputy Commissioner, National Security, Ian McCartney said.

“We will allege this was a stand-alone, Islamic State inspired attack, designed to cause harm to our community,” he said.

“We deplore any attempt to intimidate our community. The AFP will continue to work together with Victoria Police to ensure the safety of the community and to protect our way of life in Australia.”

The woman is among 85 people who have been charged since the national terrorism threat level was raised on September 12, 2014, Victoria Police said.

There have been 36 counter terrorism-related operations nationally since the level was raised.

She did not apply for bail and is due to return to court on May 2. – NineNews.AU

Readers can report any suspicious activity to Triple Zero (000), Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400.



You can follow BangkokJack on Facebook & Twitter. Or join the free mailing list (top right)

Feel free to comment on story below

Generated image