British man jumps to his death from Bangkok hotel

Staff of the hotel in Bangkok’s Khlong Toei district cordoned off the scene, police were led to the front of the building where the body had impacted.

Severe health problems drove a British man to commit suicide. He jumped from the 7th floor of a Bangkok hotel Monday evening.

At 22:03 on Monday, June 6, Andrew Frank Browning ordered a drink while sitting in the restaurant on the 7th floor of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit hotel. It was his last drink. Only minutes later, the 67-year-old Englishman went out on a balcony on the same floor, climbed on a chair and jumped off the building.

Hotel staff called the police at 22:15 after finding the body of Mr Browning on the ground in front of the hotel. Together with rescue volunteers from the Ruam Katanyu Foundation and a doctor from King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, deputy investigator Pol Capt Tongbor of Lumpini Police Station went to inspect the scene.

Read – Briton orders drink at Bangkok sky-bar then jumps to his death

While the staff of the hotel in Bangkok’s Khlong Toei district cordoned off the scene, police were led to the front of the building where the body had impacted. “Mr Browning died of a broken neck he sustained from the fall,” Pol Capt Noppa told Manager Online. Police also noted fractures of both of his legs.

In the pockets of his trousers, police found a farewell letter addressed to his children in which he explained the reasons for his suicide. “My health has been gradually declining over the last 3 years, with pain in leg/knee,” it said. The letter also described what should happen with his belongings.

Police went to the hotel restaurant on the 7th floor from where Mr Browning had jumped and noticed an opened door to one of the balconies with a chair standing outside. “We believe Mr Browning jumped from this chair,” Pol Capt Nosppa said.

Police questioned the staff of the restaurant who reported that Mr Browning had ordered a drink shortly before he committed suicide. “We assume that Mr Browning was no longer able to cope with his health problems as written in his letter and decided to end his life,” Pol Capt Nosppa concluded.

Rescue workers transported the body to King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital for further medical examination. The British Embassy has been made aware of the tragic incident. – Farang Deaths

You can follow AsiaJack on Facebook & Twitter. Email tips and suggestions to – Feel free to comment on story below

Generated image