Grisly murder of Hong Kong ‘war-gamer’

Kwok Wai-nok was found with cuts and stab wounds on his neck and head, following a nighttime trip up Black Hill with three friends who have been arrested

A young man who was reported missing after playing war games with his friends on a Hong Kong hillside over the weekend was lured to the site, pushed down a slope and killed, police said on Monday.

They arrested three men, aged 21-27, who went up Black Hill in Lam Tin with the victim late on Saturday night,

Initial investigations indicated that a money dispute over the purchase of war games gear and equipment had triggered the “premeditated attack” in the early hours of Sunday, a source said.

The body of Bosco Kwok Wai-nok, aged 20, was found about 20 to 30 metres below Wilson Trail near the top of Black Hill at about 8.30am on Monday, hours after his three friends were arrested.

Chief Inspector Ng Chung-wai of the Kowloon East regional crime unit said the victim suffered multiple stab and cut wounds to his neck, face and head.

“Initial examination showed he had been dead for more than 24 hours,” he said.

Police were still combing the hillside on Monday for the weapon used in the attack.

Kwok, a trainee air-conditioning technician, was believed to have been lured by the three suspects to Black Hill, also known as Ng Kwai Shan, to scout for and take photos of a suitable site to play war games, according to the source.

The trio, who knew the victim through their common hobby since about a year ago, met him at the Haven of Hope Hospital in Tseung Kwan O shortly after midnight on Sunday, the source said.

Kwok came with his friend but the three suspects made an excuse to separate them and went up the hill with the victim alone.

The friend was later told by the three men that Kwok had left by himself after receiving a call at about 3.30am on Sunday, the source said.

At about 1pm on Sunday, Kwok’s family filed a missing person’s report to police, saying he had still not returned home.

Police, the Fire Services Department and Civil Aid Service launched an overnight search with the help of a Government Flying Service helicopter before the body was found on Monday.

Another source said the three were arrested after investigations indicated they had made up the story about Kwok leaving the hillside by himself. Police then reclassified the case as murder.

“Initial investigation showed the victim was pushed down the hill after the attack,” chief inspector Ng said.

The trio were still being held for questioning on Monday night. Officers from the Kowloon East regional crime unit were handling the case.

Police figures show there were eight reports of homicide in the first four months of this year, a 43 per cent drop compared with 14 cases in the same period last year. This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as: Hiker ‘lured to hill, murdered and pushed down slope’


You can follow AsiaJack on Facebook & Twitter. Email tips and suggestions to


Generated image