Man gets nine months jail for attacking girlfriend’s ex-husband

Siti Norhaizah Abdullah (left) was sentenced to six weeks' jail and Rahmat Jumari was sentenced to nine months' jail for causing hurt to Muhammad Abdul Latip.ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW
Generated image

SINGAPORE – A woman enlisted the help of two others, namely her former husband and her current boyfriend, to attack her former lover after he refused to let her take back her daughter.

Siti Norhaizah Abdullah, 31, pleaded guilty on Wednesday (March 22) to causing hurt to Mr Muhammad Abdul Latip, by repeatedly punching and kicking the 31-year-old on his face and body. She and her ex-husband Abdul Halil Osman, 31, and her boyfriend Rahmat Jumari, 29, had also hit the victim multiple times with a foldable chair.

Generated image

The offence took place at the common corridor of a block in Bukit Batok West Avenue 4 on Jan 27 last year.

Rahmat had also pleaded guilty to grievously hurting Mr Muhammad, and was given nine months’ jail on Friday.

Siti’s sentence was six weeks’ jail. Both were allowed to defer sentence until April 21 so they can make care arrangements for Siti’s five children, aged between three and 11.

Abdul Halil had earlier been jailed nine months for his role in the attack.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Clement Yong said the group went to Mr Muhammad’s home at about 6.30am that day. This was with the intention of helping the mother of five take back her daughter, who had been living with the victim and his mother.

Subsequently, Siti knocked on the door and asked to see her daughter. The two men waited at the landing of the second-floor staircase.

While Siti and Mr Muhammad were arguing, Abdul Halil joined in the argument.

Shortly, Rahmat suddenly punched Mr Muhammad on the back of his neck a few times.

When Mr Muhammad turned around, Abdul Halil used a chair to hit him on the back of his head three times.

Mr Muhammad fell and Rahmat kicked him viciously in his back. Both Rahmat and Abdul Halil started to punch and kick him multiple times.

“Even though the victim tried to crawl away, he did not succeed as (Siti) stood in his path to block his way,” said DPP Yong.

As a result, Rahmat continued raining punches on the victim’s face .

Abdul Halil then passed the chair to Siti who used it to smack the lower body of the victim at his knee area, and kicked him a few times.

Rahmat then pulled down Mr Muhammad’s pants and Siti took several photos of him with a mobile phone.

Mr Muhammad eventually managed to get up and return home. He was taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital for his injuries, including a non-displaced fracture of the right frontal sinus. He was discharged four days later and given hospitalisation leave for two weeks.

Defence counsel Gino Hardial Singh said in mitigation that the primary intent was to get Siti’s child back from the victim. He said it was a family dispute which had escalated into an assault by Halil and Rahmat.

The court heard that Siti and Rahmat are currently not living together but Rahmat said he wants to get married.

-Straits Times

Generated image